Click here to make a secure online donation today to support our “1 girl 1 Chance to Change her community project” aimed at protecting adolescent girls from sexual exploitation and early marriage in Malindi, Kenya.
Background: There are over 30,000 adolescent girls in the Kenyan coast trapped in sex trade. Most of them are driven into prostitution because of poverty in their families. By giving one of these girls a chance to get an education, you help the whole community. When girls have safe places to meet, education, legal protection, health care, and access to training and job skills, they can thrive. And if they thrive, everyone around them thrives, too.
Challenge: Here are three solid reasons why we want you to invest your time, energy, and capital in an adolescent girl:
- Girls are agents of change. They play a crucial role in solving the most persistent development problems facing the world today.
- People assume girls are being reached, but they aren’t.
- The cost of excluding girls is high. In Kenya, adolescent pregnancy results in nearly 40% school drop out rates, which in return costs the nation millions of Kenya shillings in lost potential income. The question isn’t “why girls?” It’s “why wait?”
Solution: There are many ways to help.
- Send a girl to school.
- Help fight her legal case.
- Give her a microloan and help her solve the social, economic & environmental problems she faces through entrepreneurship.
Long-Term Impact: When a girl gets a chance, gets educated, stays healthy and HIV-negative, marries when she chooses, and raises a healthy family, she can raise the standard of living for herself, her brothers, her family, her community, and her country. To break the cycle of inter-generational poverty, programmes must be designed for, and measure the impact on, girls.
- $50 – Trains 10 girls in financial literacy;
- $75 – Trains 75 girls in reproductive health and rights for 1 month;
- $120 – Equips 20 adolescent girls with essential knowledge and information;
- $250 – Educates one poor girl in Malindi for 1 year;
- $500 – Helps send one girl from Majengo slum to an international conference on women rights;
- $2000 – Litigation costs of one case to see justice is served;
- $4000 – entrepreneurial training skills for girls in one rural location in Malindi targeting 40 girls